…so how the hell do we make this show?
On our one year anniversary, we talk about the technical details behind the show
We make lots of weird sounds. Walton is inadvertently recorded singing.
3:00 How do we record an intercontinental show?
- We connect through VoIP – we use Google Talk, though we’ve tested many others
- We each record our own audio on each end
- We use a cloud service like Dropbox to share the audio files
- We use Audacity to to edit the audio files into a single file with music
8:00 Audacity is a fantastic piece of software
- Output into your favourite format – MP3, OGG, FLAC etc.
- Adjust levels
- Rescue bad audio with noise removal
15:00 Get a decent mic! It makes all the difference
- Walton is using this handy mic – £40 from Maplin
18:00 We use the cloud to share audio files
21:00 Add sound!
Our title track is a Creative Commons track by Brynn
Jamendo is a good source of Creative Commons music
23:00 Upload the audio to the web
- WordPress doesn’t allow large uploads by default so look for another service
- Archive.org is the best
- We use a WordPress plugin called Power Press to embed an audio player
- We burned a feed with Feedburner
- Then we found a non-FOSS computer to we could submit the feed to iTunes
- Any more questions? Come and ask us in the forums.
TagsArab Spring Bangladesh bicycle Big Blue Button CiviCRM co-ops coop Creative Commons debian Diaspora Drupal EFF Elections Facebook For the Win FOSS Friendica Google+ Greece Icecast Immigration Labor Notes labornotes littlesis mayfirst Mexico microsoft Mondragon Occupy palestine Privacy Reddit Skype social media StatusNet strike survey swarm organising Tails Tech workers textile workers Tor webrtc wordpress World Social Forum
- Cyberunions Podcast Episode 81 Take Two… We are back!
- We will call it a summer storm…brainstorm
- Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 80 It is June and we have been Snowd’en
- The Cyberunions Podcast Episode 79: From prisms to uprises: A How to a guide to never trusting government and corporations
- The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 78 – Securely Keeping Your Privacy Exposed (aka SKYPE)